Christina Henry – Alice.

TitleAlice.
Author: Christina Henry.
Pages: 325.
PublicationPublished June 28th 2016 by Titan Books Ltd
In a warren of crumbling buildings and desperate people called the Old City, there stands a hospital with cinderblock walls which echo with the screams of the poor souls inside.In the hospital, there is a woman. Her hair, once blonde, hangs in tangles down her back. She doesn't remember why she's in such a terrible place-just a tea party long ago, and long ears, and blood...Then, one night, a fire at the hospital gives the woman a chance to escape, tumbling out of the hole that imprisoned her, leaving her free to uncover the truth about what happened to her all those years ago.Only something else has escaped with her. Something dark. Something powerful.And to find the truth, she will have to track this beast to the very heart of the Old City, where the rabbit waits for his Alice.
RATING:

Warning: this book contains rape and a lot of violence. It is dark and graphic. I will mention these aspects in my review. I would classify this book as a mixture of horror and retelling.

Alice is trapped in an asylum after she mysterious disappeared and returned – covered in blood with no memories of what happened. She becomes friends with the guy in the next cell called Hatcher. They both manage to escape when the asylum burns down and they have an important mission: find the sword to kill the Jabberwocky.

Alice has no idea what is going on, but she is thrown into dangerous situations alongside Hatcher, who believes she is the one. They meet several characters who are extremely dark and twisted, like the Caterpillar who mutilates girls in his brothel to make them exclusive and the Walrus who eats girls while he rapes them.

This aspect gave me mixed feelings. I've always found Alice to be a pretty messed-up fairytale and this book really plays in on that feeling. It twists it in an even darker version that portrays how sick this 'Wonderland' can be. On the other hand, it is gruesome and quite graphic at times, which made it intense and not exactly enjoyable. This makes it hard to say I liked the book; I did, but not in the way you say you like a contemporary book where everything is fluffy and happy.

The fight against the Rabbit and the Jabberwocky was a bit of a let down. Alice and Hatcher have to make their way through deaths and situations that are harder, so I expected more of it. It felt like they got away easy there, like the author had used up everything in the way leading up to the battle.

When it comes to Alice and Hatcher and their sort-of-romance.. Alice and Hatcher are both unpredictable and highly flawed characters. Alice is a tough girl with a broken mind and Hatcher is unstable. It makes them different from many books I've read so far. I can't say I have fallen in love with either of them, but they do fascinate me. It was nice to see how they support each other and drag each other through the hardship, but I couldn't get on board of their growing feelings. I'm curious about the sequel and how this romance is going to play out.

"If you let grief in, it might consume you."

4 comments

  1. I love the idea of a dark take on Alice in Wonderland, but I'm kind of nervous that this is TOO DARK. On second thought, I like messed up books, so I think I can handle it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review. It seems to go with other I've read of this book: good, but not as good as I'd expected.

    When I read the blurb, I was absolutely hooked. Even here, it is an awesome blurb. But then I read all the issues so many readers have with it, and I'm not sure I'd like to read this book.

    Still, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review Mel :D I'm glad you enjoyed this one, despite not loving it. I'm pretty curious about the characters :D But gosh. I do love dark books. But yeah, this sounds like it might be a bit too dark o.O But I'm a bit curious even so. Thank you for sharing sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read the synopsis I thought it sounded really intriguing but this book sounds way too graphic and dark for me so I'll be giving it a miss!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.