Wednesday, May 17, 2017 21:01

Audio book Adventures | Discovering Storytel.

I have tried to listen to audio books in the past, but for some reason it never managed to grab my attention. This was before I found out that I can listen, and enjoy, audio books on my way to work. Sitting in the bus with an audio book is the best thing ever! I still can't concentrate on audio books when I do something, but the bus ride is so much more fun now. 

This month I discovered Storytel and since it offers a 14-day free trial, I decided to give it a shot. I can already tell you that I've paid for my first month now. It is basically a Netflix service for audio books. For €9.99 a month you can listen to as many audio books as you want. You don't buy them, so when your cancel your subscription you'll not be able to listen to your previous audio books. I think this is a great deal. Also: I'm not sponsored by Storytel. They don't even know who I am. 

You can use the website if you don't want to use your phone, but it is easy to navigate around the app. This is your start screen. It features the book you are currently listening to on top.

76dc8466da5ab2585d813341a127b9afAanbevelingen = recommendations. Popular titles.
Series = I believe these are Podcasts. I haven't tried out this function yet.

Categorie├źn = categories. They offer a wide range of books; both Dutch and English, which is perfect for me!There are 17 different categories, ranging from YA, erotica and thrillers to biographies and personal development.

Zoek = search options. You can search on book titles, authors and even narrators. You can also

Je boekenplank = Your bookshelf. Here you can store all the books you are interested in. Simply click on a title and a small menu opens that allows you to place the book on your shelf. You can also mark it as 'listened to', download it so you are able to listen to it offline, rate it and share it (E-mail, Twitter, Whatsapp, Pinterest and Snapchat are some of the available options)

Instellingen = settings. Here you can see your next pay day, add your Facebook account, Filter results and see all the offline books you've stored on your account.




I scrolled through the categories and decided I wanted to check out 'Fantasy and SciFi'. This opens a screen that starts with the Dutch audio books and then you have the English section, divided into 'New, Popular and Our Favorites'.
d1e3d56909576fd959dd40fea7807ab0 ---> f20134442b7bebfcefe6d4830df6f867

I've already added some books I'm interested in on my bookshelf, picture on the left. You can use filters to make navigation easy.

On the right is the screen once you've selected a book. There is a Night mode, where you can set a timer from 5 minutes to 60 minutes. There is the ability to add bookmarks. The cloud is the download option, so you can listen offline, and the last is your speed setting: 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x and 2x. The three dots in the right corner give you an extra menu, like 'show book details' where you can also get recommendations for similar books. The three stripes on the left give you the start screen I showed you earlier.
90106fa9ee84990395e4ff1c241f167a25066d277ab571591927d26595aa2d45
I'm a fan! I never thought I would fall in love with audio books, but I discovered it is all about timing (as in: simply sitting down and not doing anything else, so I can focus on the book) and voice (I've finished Ready Player One narrated by Wil Wheaton and it was fabulous!) And not to forget the fact that this app makes it so easy to try out different audio books, without having to pay a lot of money.

Recap:
-14 day free trial.
-Then €9.99 every month. You can cancel whenever you want.
-Listen to all the audio books you want.
-Wide offer of Dutch and English books in different categories.
-Easy navigation in the app.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I was wondering when they would be offering such a thing! I'm still a bit hesitant about audiobooks, which is why I only borrow them from the library. The only times I have been able to pay attention to the book is when I'm in the car for a long time. But even then, I get the urge to listen to music instead. I think I tried to listen to an audiobook on the bus, but the ride is too short to get through a good chunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool concept and I can see it really taking off. I know people tend to want more choice when it comes to audiobook listening but when you pay for it and then don't like the narrator it can suck so a netflix deal for it would be good. I've never really been into audiobooks but if this service manages to reach the UK I will definitely be tempted to give them a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, this is pretty awesome :D Thank you for sharing about this Mel. <3 And yaaay for listening to audiobooks on the bus :D That's awesome. I still haven't tried listening to them for real.. ugh. But soon, I hope :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0