Friday, April 21, 2017 21:52

Beauty and the Beast retellings.

Since I'm on a roll with content that has something to do with Beauty and the Beast, I decided to list down my five favorite retellings for you. These are the books I've read over a couple of years, so believe me when I say these come highly recommended.

6278019
Whistling Tor is a place of secrets and mystery. Surrounded by a wooded hill, and unknown presences, the crumbling fortress is owned by a chieftain whose name is spoken throughout the district in tones of revulsion and bitterness. A curse lies over Anluan's family and his people; those woods hold a perilous force whose every whisper threatens doom.
If you know me well, this first pick will be no surprise. I always use every opportunity to show my love for Juliet Marillier. There is something enchanting and magical about the way she writes stories. Her heroins are all strong in their own ways, the romances are so romantic and the plot moves with exactly the right pace. If you haven't picked up any of her books, you are missing out. My review for Heart's Blood.

“With courage and hope, we can conquer our fears and do what we once believed impossible.”

--------


Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him. With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

I read this book in 2014 and I still can't stop thinking about it. It is definitely time to reread this stunning book. The writing-style is lush, the blend of mythology and fairytales is intricate and the characters are flawed and fascinating. My review for Cruel Beauty.

“Where you go, I shall go; where you die, I shall die, and there will I be buried.”

--------

22544764
Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.
This story is a perfect blend of several folktales and Beauty and the Beast. I fell in love with the writing-style, plot and characters. The plot is interesting and has a rather creepy setting. There is a wonderful girl-girl friendship and Agnieszka was delightful. My review for Uprooted.

“There was a song in this forest, too, but it was a savage song, whispering of madness and tearing and rage.”

--------

24485589
Beauty knows the Beast’s forest in her bones—and in her blood. Though she grew up with the city’s highest aristocrats, far from her father’s old lodge, she knows that the forest holds secrets and that her father is the only hunter who’s ever come close to discovering them. Deaf to her sisters’ protests, Yeva hunts this strange Beast back into his own territory—a cursed valley, a ruined castle, and a world of creatures that Yeva’s only heard about in fairy tales. A world that can bring her ruin or salvation. Who will survive: the Beauty, or the Beast?

This is the newest Beauty and the Beast retelling I discovered last month and let me tell you this, it was simply the best!  Yeva was fabulous and it didn't take me much time to fall in love with her personality and voice. There is much development into the character of Beast and there was enough time to warm up for the romance. My review for Hunted.

“She wept because she did not know what she wanted, and because she wanted everything.”

--------

16096824When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
I have read a few reviews that talk about the problematic issues in this book and I will not deny that there are definitely aspects that could have been better. That being said, it's still a really entertaining, well-written story and I love Feyre. My review for A Court of Thorns and Roses.

“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

7 comments:

  1. "Beauty and the Beast" is my all-time favourite fairytale. <3 Concerning the ones you've listed: I've read "ACOTAR" (awesome) and "Cruel Beauty" so far. Unfortunately, I didn't like "Cruel Beauty" that much - the beginning was great but the ending ruined everything in my opinion - it was kind of too confusing for me. "Hunted" is on my tbr, I'm glad you liked it, I really look forward to reading it.
    I have to admit that I haven't read anything by Marillier yet. However, the first book of her "Sevenwaters" series gets dusty in my shelf since forever. Did you read this series as well? Can you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT MAKES ME SO HAPPY TO SEE HEART'S BLOOD ON THIS LIST!! That book (all Marillier books really) deserve so much more love.

    I read and enjoyed all of these except Hunted, but my copy just arrived yesterday so I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It was so great to see all the retellings together :-) You've also made me super excited to start Hunted!
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! Uprooted is one of my fav books ever!! Cruel Beauty and Hunted are patiently waiting on my shelves until I finally get around reading them...
    I liked ACOTAR but loooved ACOMAF, can't wait till I get my hands on ACOWAR
    I'm ashamed to say I've never read a Juliet Marillier book... but thanks to you I do have some on my wishlist and I will be adding Hearts Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heart's Blood sounds so enchanting and since I love all the other picks on your list (or want to read them) I should add this too! I've been wanting to reread Cruel Beauty and Uprooted- both were so amazing and creepy and magical retellings. Loved ACOTAR when I first read it! I'm dying to read Hunted, I've heard the most wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Beauty and the Beast retellings! I've only read ACOTAR and I'm a black sheep on that one, but I really want to read the rest of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay :D Stunning post Mel. <3 So glad you love these books a bunch :) Sigh. I loved Hunted like crazy. <3 And ohh. Cruel Beauty. I loved that one too. Curious to know if I would love it when I re-read it too, haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0