Fairytale News | Fairytale retellings.


This is a 'new' feature I came up with. I will be talking about everything that has to do with reading. From pretty new covers to discussions about books. I will post them randomly.

The trend of fairytales and retellings is still going strong! You can imagine how happy it makes me to find new books every day. Goodreads is my main source and today I want to spotlight some of my most anticipated fairytale retellings. Some of them don’t have covers, but they deserve the attention anyway. I have some other posts, like retellings from 2013, another retellings from 2013 and upcoming fairy tales 2014.

22489107
Marissa Meyer – Fairest. Release: 27 January 2015.Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Marissa Meyer – Winter. Release: 10 November 2015.
Some of the things I gathered:
Word count:
Top Secret (but it will be the longest book of the series)
# of characters who get their own POV chapters: 11. Unless I’m forgetting some.
Semi-randomly selected teaser sentence: “No. She will never be queen.” She swayed toward him, and he felt like he was being encircled by a python, smothered and choked.
WINTER PREQUEL SHORT STORY : Having written a prequel companion story for each of the first three books of the Lunar Chronicles, I couldn’t stand to leave Winter out! I’ve been brainstorming ideas for a Winter-based prequel and intend to draft something out by the end of this month. I have no idea how or when my publisher will want to release it, but I hope it will be available to readers before Winter comes out next year. Stay tuned! Release: TBD

And something fun I also want to share, extra information: Guide to Lunar characters.

--

22839894Sarah J. Maas – A court of thorns and roses. May 5th 2015.
When nineteen-year-old Feyre plucks a forbidden rose from the ground, a wolfish creature arrives to punish her for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from stories, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin, a High Lord of the faeries. And as she learns more about him, her feelings for Tamlin transform from hostility to a fiery passion. But the threats against the faerie lands are growing, and Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse . . . or lose Tamlin forever.

And another blurb:
No mortal would dare venture beyond the borders of their world to Prythian, a forbidden kingdom of faeries. But Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill, and when she spots a deer being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. Killing the predator comes at a price though - her life, or her freedom. Dragged to Prythian, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, the faerie lands becomes an even more dangerous place.

I also hunted down a couple of teasers, which you can find over here and here.
--
Rosamund Hodge – Crimson bound. May 5, 2015.
Though not set in the same world as Cruel Beauty, Crimson Bound is also inspired by fairy tales: Little Red Riding Hood (specifically this version:http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/harris/St...) meets (genderswapped) Girl With No Hands. With bonus apocalypse. And kissing.

22929508Jessica Khoury – Untitled. No release date yet.
A retelling of the story of Aladdin told from the perspective of the genie--a girl named Zahra--who falls in love with Aladdin even as she is bound to grant his wishes to win the heart of a princess.

A.C Gaughen – Lion Heart. May 19th, 2015.
No information, but I had to share this cover. Look how pretty!

Sara Saedi – Never ever. 2016.Inspired by PETER PAN, it tells the story of a girl and her two brothers; when a handsome stranger invites the three of them to a secret island where no one grows old they think they've won the lottery, but they soon discover that something sinister is going on.

Melanie Dickerson – The huntress of Thornbeck forest.
22574726"Swan Lake" meets Robin Hood when the beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant by day becomes the region's most notorious poacher by night, and falls in love with the forester. Jorgen is the forester for the wealthy margrave and must find and capture the poacher who has been killing and stealing the margrave's game. When he meets the lovely and refined Odette at the festival and shares a connection during a dance, he has no idea she is the one who has been poaching the margrave's game. Odette justifies her crime of poaching because she thinks the game is going to feed the poor, who are all but starving, both in the city and just outside its walls. But will the discovery of a local poaching ring reveal a terrible secret? Has the meat she thought she was providing for the poor actually been sold on the black market, profiting no one except the ring of black market sellers? The one person Odette knows can help her could also find out her own secret and turn her over to the margrave, but she has no choice. Jorgen and Odette will band together to stop the dangerous poaching ring . . . and fall in love. But what will the margrave do when he discovers his forester is protecting a notorious poacher?

Christine Norris – A curse of ash and iron. 2015.
Eleanor Banneker is under a spell, bewitched and enslaved by her evil stepmother. Her long-lost childhood friend, Benjamin Grimm, is the only person immune to the magic that binds her. Even if he doesn't believe in real magic, he cannot abandon her and must find a way to breach the spell – but time is running short.

22448211Naomi Novik – Uprooted.
“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her. But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.

Wendy Higgins – The great hunt.
Retelling of the Brother's Grimm tale "The Singing Bone."

23015970Pauline Harris – Puppet. October 2014.
Penelope lives in a world of advanced technology but many claim society has yet to catch up. Marionettes have advanced in the form of robots; lifelike creations remote controlled to perform super human tasks.
When Penelope makes a deal with Jed, a marionette-obsessed scientist, she doesn’t fully realize what she’s getting herself into. In order for Jed to take her away from the orphanage she lives in, she must first agree to undergo his experiments and tests, ultimately creating something no one ever dreamed possible; the first living marionette. As Jed shows off his scientific creation to the world, concerns arise surrounding Penelope’s abilities and what she’s capable of doing. Ordered to somehow lessen her abilities, Jed makes a desperate attempt to change Penelope to make her more human, more vulnerable. After Penelope lies to the officials about her past, Jed makes sure it’s the last one she’ll ever utter. The truth is now the only thing she is capable of telling. As Penelope struggles with her past, her disturbingly new present, and her uncertain future, she is thrust into a magically twisted world of mayhem in search of the one thing she wants, but knows she can never have. The chance to be just a girl again. To be normal. To be real.

Sarah Porter – Vassa in the night.
Vassa In The Night is a magical, modern-day retelling of the Russian folktale "Vassilisa the Beautiful" about a girl with an evil stepsister and a magic doll given to her by her late mother; which according to the publisher, "does for Brooklyn what Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat did for Hollywood."

Nicole Castroman – Blackhearts.
Inspired by the tale of Blackbeard, it's the story of a forbidden romance between a servant girl desperate for freedom and the master's son who dreams of a life at sea. But they are caught up in something bigger than their circumstances: a love that changes the course of history.

23015946Michelle Diener – The silver pear. October 1st 2014.
An unlikely princess.. Kayla is determined to master her new-found abilities as a wild magic witch. She's learning everything she can so she and her betrothed, Rane, can put a stop to the sorcerers who are recklessly gathering their power, building up their magic to take each other on in a war that will destroy the countries of Middleland. An even more unlikely sorcerer.. Mirabelle's father was one of the greatest sorcerers in Middleland, but when he used the magic in the silver pear to bespell his pregnant wife to give birth to the greatest sorcerer who would ever live, he never thought that child would be a girl. Mirabelle is nothing like a usual sorcerer, confounding every expectation, and when she comes to the rescue of Rane's brother, Soren, she makes a decision few sorcerers would. She saves him, rather than herself, losing the silver pear in the process. And using magic always exacts a price.. With war not just a possibility but simply a matter of time, there are no neutral parties and no fence-sitters in Kayla and Mirabelle's new world. Everyone is either an ally or an enemy and there is a price to pay for everything. The question is, how high will it be?

13455099
RenĂ©e Ahdieh – The wrath and the dawn.
The book, the first of a duet, is a reimagining of The Arabian Nights, where the wits of one girl are the only thing standing between a vulnerable kingdom and its ruthless boy-king.

Betsy Cornwell – Mechanica.
Ash by Malinda Lo meets Marissa Meyer’s Cinder: A YA retelling of Cinderella about an indomitable inventor-mechanic who finds her prince but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all. Fans of Libba Bray's The Diviners and Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel will find much to love here.

Mackenzie Lee – The shadow boys are breaking.
Pitched as a reimagining of Frankenstein set in an industrialized 1818 Geneva, where a teenage mechanic must rediscover the line between man and monster after he uses clockwork to bring his murdered brother back from the dead.

Lisa Maxwell – Heartless things.
Gwen and her best friend are abducted to a dark world akin to Pan's Labyrinth called Neverland, but it's nothing like the fairy tale. To rescue her friend, Gwen must decide whether to trust a roguish young pirate or the boy who calls himself Pan.

Heather Lyons - The collector's society.
After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth. It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?

C.J Redwine - The shadow queen.
A dark fantasy inspired by "Snow White". A princess has lived in hiding from her stepmother for years, until the false queen sends out a new kind of huntsman – the crown prince of a nation of powerful dragon shifters, desperate enough to save his people to ally himself with even an evil usurper.

That's it for this edition. Did you find some new books to add to Goodreads?

51 comments

  1. Ahhh! I want A court of thorns and roses so badly!! I have high expectations for that book O.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this list! I'm looking forward to Winter and Fairest, and the new Naomi Novik. After this, I'll also be on the watch for A Court of Thorns and Roses!

    Oh, and not a fairy tale, exactly, but I'm looking forward to the sequel to Seraphina, called Shadow Scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the extra info on Fairest! That's the most I've read about it, and now I'm even more excited (yay for big books!). I thought a Court of Thorns and Roses was releasing earlier, but oh well. May is still soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this Mel, I love retellings and I never really know where to go to look for them. A list is always good to have and look through and some of those covers are just so beautiful. Can't wait to grab some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Mel, you just gave me some amazing recommendations! Thanks a lot for that:)
    I am currently reading Cinder, and I am loving it to pieces.I have always been a huge fan of fairytale retellings, especially about my favourite stories, so it makes me happy to know that there are a lot of good books in that genre to look forward to.
    A court of thorns and roses sounds amazing. Just like I told you the other day, my favourite fairytale is Beauty and the Beast and when it's retold by one of my favourite authors, I have an instant feeling that I am going to love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic feature, Mel! You've really outdone yourself :)

    I'm so excited for new Maas and Meyer. They're both brilliant writers who get better with each instalment! I'll be honest. I'm leaning more towards Maas right now. How enticing does that premise sound?! I haven't read many tales that do faeries justice (but then again, I haven't chanced upon Kagawa yet) so I'm hoping this one will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOD A RETELLING FOR ALADDIN. I just love that fairy tale so much! And YESSS WINTER is my most anticipated release next year, I just can't wait! Great to see another Sarah J. Maas story that isn't Throne of Glass, I wonder what it would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely the best way to stay up to date on all the new 'fairy tale-ish' books that are being published! For real, I had a blast adding most of these to my Goodreads!
    Also, I probably don't have to say this, but I am SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED for A Court of Thorns and Roses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, some of these covers are absolutely beautiful, definitely fairytale-worthy! I especially like the look of Mechanica. Great new feature! I love things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this list is amazing! THANKS so much! runs off to goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait for Fairest. I'm SO ready for it! Also can't wait Crimson Bound. Very excited for it. Never Ever is a new title to me. I happen to LOVE Peter Pan retellings so that's awesome!
    Oh and The Silver Pear was fantastic! I wasn't -totally- sold on The Golden Apple but I was impressed by TSP! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohmygosh Mel, what have you done to me? Pretty much all of these sound absolutely amazing, and I fear my TBR will grow exponentially by the time I go through them all on Goodreads!

    As always, thank you for sharing your love for fairytales <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely list! Puppet and Mechanica sound wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for AMAZING post :D Thank you so much for sharing about all these amazing books Mel. <3 They all look awesome. Sigh. FAIREST. WINTER. So much love! Dying to read those two :) I just know they will be awesome. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post! Thank you for sharing, I now have a few more additions to add to my TBR. I am so beyond excited for A Court of Thorns and Roses!!!!! It will tide me over until the next Throne of Glass book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG my TBR pile is about to be inundated!!! I can imagine this took a while to put together, thanks for all the news!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! SO many retellings!! I had no idea most of these where coming out! Thanks, Mel! More to add to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fairytale retellings are always the BEST! Most of these are on my TBR as well - but my most anticipated are Fairest, Winter and A Court of Thorns and Roses as I absolutely adore the previous works of both authors. Thanks for sharing Mel and fabulous post! <3 It's awesome seeing so many authors writing fairytale retellings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this post!! I love fairytalle retellings and I am so happy that more and more authors are writing them. However, it is really hard to keep track of all of the awesome retellings and this post has helped me so much!!
    Also, I cannot wait Lion Heart to release!! I need to know what happens next in that series! Is it May yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm always happy to help another fairytale fangirl out :D

      Delete
  20. SO MANY TO LOOK FORWARD TO!! I knew of a few of these but most are new to me! The Aladdin retelling by Jessica Khoury sounds really good! As does the new C.J. Redwine. And obviously I'm dying to read A.C. Gaughen, Marissa Meyer, SJMaas and Rosamund Hodge :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOOH! I had no idea about this new Sarah J. Maas series! Added that immediately, considering I'm only on the third novella of ToG and already know that I'm going to be addicted to THAT series lol.

    I'm really excited to read Fairest, sadly I haven't even picked up Cress yet, oops. Oh, and CJ Redwine's new book... SUPER excited for that one!!!

    Love this feature, Mel! So much great information and books that I had no idea of and probably wouldn't otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm drooling over, like, ALL of these. But particularly Sarah J Maas' second series. YAY!! MORE OF HER BOOKS TO TIE US OVER BETWEEN TOG RELEASES!!! Although, I'm also scared. New characters for me to get attached to and then cry when they're killed or whatnot. We know how Maas works. >.>
    I can't wait for Fairest, but I want Winter so so so baaaaadly. I'm kind of sad it was pushed back for Fairest. But I understand why they wanted Fairest out first. x) Puppet looks awesome and I LOVE all these Grimm retellings coming out soon. XD

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my goodness look at all these books I need to throw on my shelves like ASAP! Never Ever sounds fabulous already, but releasing in 2016?! THATS SO FAR AWAY. Anyway, so very excited about Meyer and Maas' upcoming novels. 2015 is gonna be all kinds of epic in the bookish world

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH MY GOD SO EXCITED ABOUT A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES! I will literally read anything Sarah J Maas writes. And Fairest! aksdf villain backstories are so interesting! I really hope she can flesh out Leavana's backstory well (who am I kidding, it's Marissa Meyer, of course she'll do it well haha)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so incredibly excited by another Alice in Wonderland retelling, the original had been a favourite of mine since I was old enough to read. Being released as NA worries me a little that it's focus more on the characters rather than world building, which would be such a shame. Also going to keep an eye out for Wendy Higgins as well. Big fan of her work, she has such a vivid imagination and no doubt that one will be epic.

    Love the feature! Brilliant post and thanks for sharing Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Higgins before, but this book definitely put her on my radar!

      Delete
  26. Fairytale retellings are my kryptonite! I can't wait for Crimson Bound and The Collector's Society! I wasn't even aware of A Court of Thorns and Roses, I am curious now!

    Amber Elise @Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  27. DANG 11 point of views on Fairest? Wow, hopefully it won't get confusing because I always have trouble with POV books since some of the characters sound alike and I mix them up. OMG Puppet looks amazing! SO glad it's coming out this month. It's weird how I've never heard of that book... Anyways, please keep doing this feature! I really love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love retellings, so this is an awesome post! A Court of Thorns and Roses is bound to be amazing, as it's Sarah J. Maas :) The Collector's Society also sounds really good. I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm looking forward to The Collector's Society, but I am beyond freaking excited for A Court of Thorns and Roses. It's been on my TBR for over a year and I'm thrilled it finally has a release date!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness! All of these upcoming retellings look absolutely FABULOUS! Thanks for putting these posts together -- I always end up adding tons of books to my TBR after I read them! ;)

    Em @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, I didn't realize there were so many fairytale retellings to come! If I had to choose which ones I'd read or am interested in, it'd be the Marissa Meyer books (duh), the Jessica Khoury book (just because I love Aladdin and would love to read a retelling of it), and Mechanica (primarily because of that cover - gorgeous)!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so excited for Marissa Meyer's new book, even though it pushes Winter back quite a bit. I've always been interested in Levana's back story. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. :P

    A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES /dies I'm SO EXCITED for this and not just because it's Sarah J Maas but also because it sounds SO GOOD. Since the release of Throne of Glass her writing has definitely matured, so I can only imagine how much awesome is going to be packed into ACoTaR. AND it's a Beauty and the Beast retelling which is my favorite Disney story of all time.

    I started A.C. Gaughen's Lady Thief back in February but never finished it. :B I didn't DNF it but I just couldn't get into it again. It was the start of my slump, though. I LOVE the covers though! They're all so gorgeous.

    I never realized how many fairytale retellings there actually are!

    ReplyDelete
  33. So many retellings. Damn, I am impressed with your homework.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mel, I lovingly blame you for expanding my TBR pile even more!! I see some familiar ones and found some new ones! So thank you, I love this post :) I love fantasy books and fairytale retellings in general. Cinder set the mold <3 I am SO ready for A Court of Thorns and Roses :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes to Winter and Fairest and A Court of Thorns and Roses. I didn't love Cruel Beauty so I really hope I like Crimson Bound better. Also, yesss to Lion Heart. That cover is just gorgeous!

    Stiefvater really liked Uprooted so I'm excited for it because she approved haha.

    Mechanica, The Wrath and The Dawn and The Shadow Queen all sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. All the books sound like fun reads,

    I chooce these:
    Sarah J. Maas – A court of thorns and roses.
    Sara Saedi – Never ever.
    Betsy Cornwell – Mechanica.
    Heather Lyons - The collector's society.

    The covers of the books look magical

    ReplyDelete
  37. WINTER. <3 Why oh why did it have to be pushed back?! I am DYING for it. That thing is gonna be a tome though lol. Love the teaser quote!
    Court of Thorns and Roses sounds wonderful! I kinda wish it was a standalone, but I can't wait to hear more about it.
    I still need to start the Scarlet trilogy. I think I'm gonna binge read them when the third is released. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oooooh thanks for this list!! So many pretties to get excited about. I can easily say that SJM's Court of Thorn and Roses is my most coveted one out of all these! I NEED that book in my life!!! Gah! I can't wait until we get to see a cover at least :D And of course I'm dying to get my hands on Fairest!! I love MM's Lunar Chronicles series and I've always enjoyed getting to know how a notorious villain gets to be that way! Lion Heart sounds/looks amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. There are SO many books here that I'm excited for!! Specifically Winter (AHHH, I'M SO EXCITED!), Court of Throne and Roses (EEEKK! MORE SARAH J. MAAS!!) and Crimson Bound because I really enjoyed Cruel Beauty- it's a shame it's not a sequel, haha, but I do love Little Red Riding Hood!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Court of Thorns and Roses sounds SO GOOD (though I still have to read her first series...I should really get on that). Also, I really need to read the rest of Marissa Meyer's books since I absolutely loved Cinder. So excited for these retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this list! I didn't know there were going to be so many releases! Some of these sound super awesome and as I am all for retellings myself, I can't wait!

    Check out my NOTD and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/nightmare-before-christmas-notd.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.